The Big Fat Smile KIDS AQUA is FUN!
It’s a swim followed by a run- you don’t need to be a sports star! The Big Fat Smile Kids Aqua is just for kids 7-12 years of age. Ages are divided into U10 years and 10-12’s, with the younger ages swimming 140m, and the older 200m. Swim-Run on your own, with a parent or tag team with a friend.
Over 400 Kids take part each year and the event is designed to offer a safe and fun experience. The swim is held in the more sheltered Wollongong harbour and the run along the flat ‘blue mile cycle path’.
Finisher medals for all who take part!!
Whilst all effort and safety measures are taken, please ensure your child can swim the required distance in open water. The course is designed with safety in mind. Children can take part on their own or with a parent/guardian along side (if U10).
READY, SET, AQUA!
What you need to know…
- Open water swim in Wollongong harbour. The swim is held close to shore around a group of lifesavers. Start on the sand, and than in deeper for the swim, with lots of lifesavers keeping a close eye.
- Parents ensure your children can swim the required distance un-aided. Parents can support and swim with the U10 age group. The water can be calm to windswept depending on conditions
- Age and gender starts. 2-3 minutes per wave divided into U10 Boys, U10 Girls, U10 Tag Team, 10-12 Boys, 10-12’s Girls, 10-12 tag team
- Swim distance : U10’s swim 140m ; 10-12’s swim 200m
- Tag teams: one swims and one runs – 2 person tag team
- A flat cycle path run 1km out and back, safe, along flat coastal path to north beach & back, 2km total.
- Fun finish under the finish arch
- Get your Big Fat Smile FINISHER MEDAL
It’s fun, its safe, and all kids can join in.
√ Entry to Australia’s most fun swim and run
√ Eyeline swim cap
√ Kids Finisher MEDALLION!
√ Electronic timing and results
√ Entry to age and spot prize pool worth over $5,000
√ Professional event safety & services
√ Sponsor goodies
What happens on Event day?
- Collect your Registration kit: Compulsory for all individuals Entrants or 1 team member
- Parent or guardian must attend
- Collection between 7.15am and 8:30am (allow 45min car park, walk to register)
- See maps: located at belmore basin
- Please check the Event Schedule for times
- Go to the Big Fat Smile Kids Area (Furthest NORTH of concourse) see flags
- Place your shoes / run gear in the kids area
- Place your allocated Eyeline Swim cap on and time chip on your left ankle.
- Teams: swimmer starts with time chip, runner waits in kids area to be ‘tagged’ – this means swapping the time velcro from the swimmer ankle to the runners ankle.
- Briefing is held on water’s edge- LISTEN To announcer / kids marshal
- Swim marshal will bring kids to the start in age groups
- Listen to the swim safety talk – parents to attend.
What if the harbour is rough?
Whilst very rare as the harbour is mostly protected- it is open and exposed to high winds, and rain. The conditions can be flat, and calm, to windswept and choppy. Please ensure your child is able to manage the swim or a parent to be in the water with the child. Lifesavers will determine the best for safety and decide on maintaining the swim or to move the swim to a safer spot, or reduce the distance and lastly to swap the swim for a ‘wade – knee deep water run’ in worst situation.
My child does not finish the swim?
Our success rate is over 98%! Kids are supported and encouraged the whole way..if though they are not up to the full swim, THAT’S OK, simply exit the water and continue the event. (age awards will not apply)
SPECIAL NOTE: PARENTS / GUARDIANS
- Parents can assist children in the swim of the U10 event
- Parents are to avoid interfering with other children
- NO parents inside the ‘change area’ unless your child is under 8
- Parents are to take responsibility for their child once the event is completed
√ Finisher medals (All kids!)
√ 1st, 2nd, 3rd Age awards (U10’s) and (10-12’s) boys and girls
√ Tag Team: 1st, 2nd, 3rd age and gender divisions
√ Spot/barrel draws to win
*See Terms & Conditions