“soooo much fun, we love it!”
It’s a swim followed by a run- you don’t need to be a sports star!
The Big Fat Smile Kids Aqua is just for kids 7-12 years of age and draws our largest cheers.
An “aquathon” is a swim followed by a run (triathlon without the bike).
Over 400 Kids take part each year and we go all out to make it a safe and fun experience.
The Kids Aqua begins with a swim, held in the more sheltered Wollongong harbour and than its off with the goggles, on with joggers, to the run along the flat ‘blue mile cycle path’.
Safety is paramount and supporting the kids is a large group of lifesavers in the water and course marshals on the run, plus parents can opt to take part along side.
Ages are divided into U10 years and 10-12’s, with the U10’s swimming 140m and the 10-12’s 200m. Both swims are divided into age and gender smaller groups,.
Swim-Run on your own, as a relay tag team, or with your parent/friend.
Finisher medals for all who take part!!
Note: Whilst all effort and safety measures are taken, please ensure your child can swim the required distance in open water. The course is designed with safety in mind. Children can take part on their own or with a parent/guardian along side (if U10).
READY, SET, AQUA!
EVENT GUIDES – click to download
√ Entry to Australia’s most fun swim and run
√ Fully supported- lifesavers, course marshals, safety services
√ Eyeline swim cap
√ Kids Finisher MEDALLION!
√ Electronic timing and results
√ Entry to age and spot prize pool worth over $5,000
√ Sponsor goodies, activities and more!
Before you enter
- Parents ensure your children can swim the required distance. Whilst we place emphasis on participation the main consideration is that your child is able to swim the distance un-aided or with a parent in the water. Wollongong harbour is generally reasonably flat though winds can make it bumpy. The swim is held close to shore (no more than 50m out), and is 1.5-2m at deepest point. Start on the sand, around a group of lifesavers, and back to shore.
- Ages: From 7 years of age individually, or from 6 years as a tag team
- Tag teams are two kids, one swimmer and one runner.
- Swim distance : U10’s swim 140m ; 10-12’s swim 200m
- Run: 2km, flat safe run. 1km out and back to north beach & back
What happens on Event day?
- Collect your Registration kit: Compulsory for all individuals Entrants or 1 team member (swim cap, time chip)
- Parent or guardian must attend
- COLLECTION TIME: 7.15am and 8:30am (arrive min 45min prior)
- MAPS / START TIMES: see below
- Please check the Event Schedule for times
- Go to the Big Fat Smile Kids Area (Furthest NORTH of concourse) where barriers and a Kids Area sign marks the spot
- Place allocated Eyeline Swim cap on head, plus googles (optional). No flippers, swim aids (unless with permission by organisers)
- Place allocated time chip on left ankle.
- Leave your shoes / run gear in the kids area (grass)
- Teams: swimmer starts with time chip on their ankle.
- Teams both swimmer/runner – go the shoreline when called.
- Team Runners will be escorted to ‘team tag area’ to wait for swimmer
- Team swimmer and runner swaps the time velcro from the swimmer ankle to the runners ankle.
- ALL Kids / parents MUST attend the pre-event briefing on water’s edge
- Line up in age groups
- Listen to the swim safety talk – parents to attend.
- Swim marshal will bring kids to the start in age/gender groups
- Lead lifesaver paddler will demonstrate the course and lead out
- Swim the course, exit the sand, up the stairs to your change area – swap goggles for joggers and out you go
- Finish the run, and get your Kids Finisher Medal!
What if the harbour is rough?
Whilst very rare as the harbour is mostly protected- it is open and can be exposed to high winds, and rain. The conditions can be flat, and calm, to windswept and choppy. Lifesavers will determine the best course for safety and decide on most suitable swim course with options to reduce the distance or swap the swim for a ‘wade/run’ in knee deep water run if conditions deemed unsafe.
My child does not finish the swim?
Our success rate is over 98%! Kids are supported and encouraged the whole way..if though they are not up to the full swim, THAT’S OK, simply exit the water and continue the event. (age awards will not apply)
SPECIAL NOTE: PARENTS / GUARDIANS
- Parents can assist children in the swim of the U10 event
- Parents are to avoid interfering with other children
- NO parents inside the ‘change area’ unless your child is under 8
- Parents are to take responsibility for their child once the event is completed
√ Finisher medals (All kids!)
√ 1st, 2nd, 3rd Age awards (U10’s) and (10-12’s) boys and girls
√ Tag Team: 1st, 2nd, 3rd age and gender divisions
√ Spot/barrel draws to win
*See Terms & Conditions