“soooo much fun, we love it!”
An “aquathon” is a swim followed by a run!
The Big Fat Smile ‘Kids Aqua’ distance is just for kids 7-12 years of age and draws our largest cheers. Annually over 400 children take part e and we go all out to make it a safe and fun experience.
‘Kids Aqua’ begins with a swim, (held in sheltered Wollongong harbour), than its off with the goggles, on with joggers for the run . Ages are divided into U10 years and 10-12’s, with the U10’s swimming 140m and the 10-12’s 200m. Both swims are divided into age and gender smaller groups.
Safety is paramount and supporting the kids is a large group of lifesavers in the water and course marshals on the run, plus parents can opt to take part along side their little one’s as support. But please make sure your child/ren can swim to required distance prior to entering.
Do it own your own, with a parent and together with a friend if you prefer to tag team (one swimmer and one runner).
Finisher medals !!
√ Entry to Australia’s favourite fun swim and run
√ Fully supported event- lifesavers, course marshals, safety services
√ Eyeline swim cap
√ Kids Finisher MEDALLION!
√ Electronic timing and results
√ Entry to age and spot prize pool worth over $5,000
√ Sponsor goodies, activities and more!
Before you enter
- Download, read and keep a copy of the KIDS AQUA PROGRAM
- Ensure your children can swim the required distance. (Parents can support their child in the water if under 10 years).
- Wollongong harbour is generally reasonably flat though it can be exposed to winds and tidal. Start on shore, the swim is held close to shore line but will be too deep to stand. Loads of great lifesavers help
- Ages: 7 and over as an individual entrant or from 6 yrs as a tag team
- Tag teams are a team of two, one swimmer and one runner.
- Swim distance : U10’s swim 140m ; 10-12’s swim 200m
- Run: 2km, flat safe run. 1km out and back to north beach & back
What happens on Event day?
- Collect your Registration kit: Compulsory for all individuals Entrants or 1 team member (swim cap, time chip)
- Parent or guardian must attend
- COLLECTION TIME: 7.15am and 8:30am (arrive min 45min prior)
- MAPS / START TIMES: see below
- Please check the Event Schedule for times
- Go to the Big Fat Smile Kids Area (Furthest NORTH of concourse)
- Place allocated time chip on left ankle.
- Individuals – place shoes / run gear in the allocated kids area (grass)
- Put swim cap on, goggles and head to shore line when instructed
- Teams: swimmer starts with time chip on their ankle.
- Teams both swimmer/runner – go the shoreline when called.
- Team Runners will be escorted to ‘team tag area’
- Team swimmer and runner swaps the timing velcro from the swimmers ankle to the runners ankle like ‘relay baton’.
- Parents U10’s MUST attend the pre-event briefing on water’s edge for safety instructions.
- Swim marshal will bring kids to the start line in age/gender groups
- Lead lifesaver paddler will demonstrate the course
- Start when called and complete the course as instructed.
- Finish the run, and get your Kids Finisher Medal!
What if the harbour is rough?
Whilst Wollongong Harbour is mostly protected- it can be exposed to high winds, rain and tidal. The conditions can be calm, to windswept and choppy. Lifesavers will determine the best course for safety and decide on most suitable swim course on event day. If deemed unsafe the swim distance may be reduced or swapped for a ‘wade’ (knee deep water run)
My child does not finish the swim?
Our success rate is over 98%! Kids are supported and encouraged the whole way..if though they are not up to the full swim, THAT’S OK, simply exit the water and continue the event. (age awards will not apply)
SPECIAL NOTE: PARENTS / GUARDIANS
- Parents can assist children in the swim of the U10 event
- Parents are to avoid interfering with other children
- NO parents inside the ‘change area’ unless your child is under 8
- Parents are to take responsibility for their child once the event is completed
√ Finisher medals (All kids!)
√ 1st, 2nd, 3rd Age awards (U10’s) and (10-12’s) boys and girls
√ Tag Team: 1st, 2nd, 3rd age and gender divisions
√ Spot/barrel draws to win
*See Terms & Conditions