“soooo much fun, we love it!”
An “aquathon” is a swim followed by a run!
The Big Fat Smile ‘Kids Aqua’ distance is just for kids 6-12 years of age and draws our largest cheers. Annually over 400 children take part and we go all out to make it a safe and fun experience.
‘Kids Aqua’ is all about fun and having a go. The swim is first, begins with a (held in sheltered Wollongong harbour), than its off with the goggles, on with joggers for the run . Ages are divided into U10 years and 10-12’s, with the U10’s swimming 140m and the 10-12’s 200m. Parents can tag along with U10’s. Both swims are divided into age and gender smaller start groups.
Safety is paramount and supporting the kids is a large group of lifesavers in the water and course marshals on the run, plus parents can opt to take part along side their little one’s. Please make sure your child/ren can swim to required distance prior to entering.
Do it own your own, with a parent and together with a friend if you prefer to tag team (one swimmer and one runner).
Finish with a big smile and get your finisher medal!
√ Entry to Australia’s favourite fun swim and run
√ Fully supported event- lifesavers, course marshals, safety services
√ Eyeline swim cap
√ Kids Finisher medallion
√ Electronic timing and results
√ Entry to age and spot prize pool worth over $5,000
√ Sponsor goodies, activities and more!
Course Maps – Scroll to bottom of page.
NEW – CLICK HERE FOR SATELLITE MAP – zoom in and see the course live
Before you enter..
- Download, read and keep a copy of the kids guide
- Ensure your children can swim the required distance. (Parents can support their child in the water if under 10 years).
What happens on Event day?
- 7.15-8.30am: Collect the Registration kit: Compulsory for all individuals Entrants or 1 team member (swim cap, time chip)-Parent or guardian must attend).
- Go to the Kids Area (Furthest NORTH of concourse). REFER site map.
- Time chips are worn on left ankle. If you are a relay team the swimmer places time-chip on first, than it is pass (like a relay baton) to runner whom puts it on their ankle.
- Put swim cap on, goggles and head to shore line when instructed
- Teams: Teams both swimmer/runner – go the shoreline when called. Team Runners will be escorted to ‘team tag area to wait for swimmer
- 8.30am: GO TO SHORELINE FOR PRE EVENT BRIEFING:
- Parent/guardian of a child U10 MUST attend safety briefing
- 9.05-9.15am Start
- Parents can assist children in the swim of the U10 event
- Parents are to avoid interfering with other children
- NO parents inside the ‘change area’ unless your child is under 8
- Parents are to take responsibility for their child once the event is completed
Will the event be cancelled?
Highly unlikely. The event is planned to proceed at near all conditions, so be prepared. If dangerous surf or other reason the kids aquathon may be reduced in distance, swim swapped to a wade (knee deep run instead of swim), and if no alternative cancelled.
Swim safety is extremely important and we pride ourselves on having hundreds of children safely finishing each year. Our lifesavers go all out to ensure a safe swim, close to shore and escorted. We do ask parents must ensure their child/ren can safely swim the distance without support. All children must listen to the swim manager, follow lifesaver decisions and wear the swim cap.
Whilst Wollongong Harbour is mostly protected though it can be exposed to winds, rain and is tidal. Lifesavers will determine the best course for safety and decide on most suitable swim course on event day. Water quality is normally very good, though wind, rain, storm can reduce the quality. Parents will be advised if poor water quality.
√ Finisher medals (All kids!)
√ 1st, 2nd, 3rd Age awards (U10’s) and (10-12’s) boys and girls
√ Tag Team: 1st, 2nd, 3rd age and gender divisions
√ Spot/barrel draws to win
New – satellite maps! Click, view live
*See Terms & Conditions